Transient Monte Carlo

Has there been much work with OpenMC for doing transient analysis? If so, I’d really appreciate some references. We’re pursuing comparison of OpenMC-BISON-Relap calculations with Rattlesnake-BISON-Relap

Hi Alex,

I recently completed my PhD thesis (see attached) on transient Monte Carlo in OpenMC. I’m not aware of any other significant efforts on transient analysis with OpenMC, but there might be others out there working on it. My work was focused on solving the time dependent neutronics problem without any other physics effects (TH, fuel performance, etc) modeled. I’m still in the process of integrating my work into the main repo, but am happy to share my knowledge and answer any questions you have.

Development of High Fidelity Methods for 3D Monte Carlo Transient Analysis of Nuclear Reactors.pdf (6.55 MB)

Hi Alex,

The only work that I’m aware (other than Sam’s) is that of Antonios Mylonakis:
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anucene.2016.12.039

Best,
Paul

Thank you both for sharing. I had seen the Mylonakis work, but presumed it wasn’t integrated in anyway into the main OpenMC repo.

Sam, this looks like great work. Do you have any estimate for when this may be integrated?

It will likely be a few months until it’s fully integrated with the main repo. The code is in a branch in my repo, but just needs some cleaning up, documentation, and tests written to get it ready for integration. I’ve had to focus on some other work the last few months, but am getting back into integrating my code into the main repo and writing up a paper or two on the work. If you need access to it sooner or have questions on the work, just let me know.

Hi! Sam.
access to your code for study?

在 2018年5月5日星期六 UTC+8上午12:33:30,Sam Shaner写道:

Hi guys,

Not intending to bother much here by reviving this old post, but for sure would be nice to test transient capabilities with OpenMC. Any news about this? Thanks!

Hello, I have taken up Sam Shaner’s work, so I am happy to answer questions related to that.

In other news, I think @paulromano is working on a time-filter capability. I think there is an open PR related to alpha eigenvalues, and someone at MIT is apparently working on Dynamic Monte Carlo.