Testing burnups(run_depletion.py) example in development mode

Hello,

Hello, As Dr. Paul said openmc development version support the depletion example in the guihub (pincell depletion)https://github.com/openmc-dev/openmc/blob/develop/examples/python/pincell_depletion/run_depletion.py. I was trying to test the example myself. I have python installed as miniconda. So far to get the development branch of openmc I run the below commands:

git clone [https://github.com/mit-crpg/openmc.git](https://github.com/mit-crpg/openmc.git)
cd openmc
mkdir build && cd build
cmake ..
cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$HOME/.local ..
make
sudo make install

Now, I have a openmc folder in my home directory. inside it i have the example and If I go into the examples of depletion and run "python run_depletion.py" i see the error there is no module openmc.deplete. I tried putting the run_depletion.py file in the build folder of openmc and tried running there. still the same issue. 

Than, I see I have to have to do the for development mode.

pip install -e .[test]

After, doing that I tried putting the run_depletion.py file in the build folder and again tried running there. Now, the interesting thing is the error changed to this 

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "run_depletion.py", line 132, in <module>
    op = openmc.deplete.Operator(geometry, settings_file, chain_file)
  File "/home/gate/openmc/openmc/deplete/operator.py", line 113, in __init__
    super().__init__(chain_file)
  File "/home/gate/openmc/openmc/deplete/abc.py", line 67, in __init__
    self.chain = Chain.from_xml(chain_file)
  File "/home/gate/openmc/openmc/deplete/chain.py", line 326, in from_xml
    root = ET.parse(str(filename))
  File "src/lxml/etree.pyx", line 3435, in lxml.etree.parse
  File "src/lxml/parser.pxi", line 1840, in lxml.etree._parseDocument
  File "src/lxml/parser.pxi", line 1866, in lxml.etree._parseDocumentFromURL
  File "src/lxml/parser.pxi", line 1770, in lxml.etree._parseDocFromFile
  File "src/lxml/parser.pxi", line 1163, in lxml.etree._BaseParser._parseDocFromFile
  File "src/lxml/parser.pxi", line 601, in lxml.etree._ParserContext._handleParseResultDoc
  File "src/lxml/parser.pxi", line 711, in lxml.etree._handleParseResult
  File "src/lxml/parser.pxi", line 638, in lxml.etree._raiseParseError
OSError: Error reading file './chain_simple.xml': failed to load external entity "./chain_simple.xml"

What am I missing here?

Dr, can you please guide me how I can try out the depletion example (run_depletion.py) in development branch of openmc.  Can you please guide me how I can test the depeltion example of openmc in development branch? An chronological steps to follow guide for testing this will be much helpful. Thanks.

Hello, So, now, I have a different issue. I go into the openmc/examples/python/pincell_depletion/ folder and tried running python run_depletion.py. I see this error.

ERROR: HDF5 data format uses version 1.0 whereas your installation of OpenMC
expects version 2.x data.

Now, where can I get the 2.x version of cross section library? I have the cross section library by “openmc-get-nndc-data” command.

Hi Sharif,

Probably the easiest way to get an updated version of the data is using the download-xs.sh script found in /tools/ci/ in the OpenMC repo.

This script will place the new data in a folder named nndc_hdf5 in your $HOME directory.

After updating your OPENMC_CROSS_SECTIONS environment variable to the new cross_sections.xml , this error should go away.

Cheers,