Infinite photoelectric generation at 0 eV

Hello,

I’ve posted a couple questions recently regarding my program “dying” unexpectedly, and I finally have isolated a case where this happens. This program seems to get stuck in some sort of infinite loop at particle 1288 with photoelectric interactions. There is a chance there is a bug in my geometry that I haven’t caught yet, but I am wondering if this is some kind of bug in the source code.

I have uploaded the five .xml files I use to run OpenMC. However, the plots.xml file is largely empty as I haven’t quite gotten my plots working yet. I am running this on MacOS via Jupyter Notebook, although I have run OpenMC directly from the command line with the same result. I am only producing one batch with one generation per batch at this time to isolate the issue, with only 1288 particles generated as the last particle seems to be where it stops. I run it from the command line using openmc --threads 1 and from Jupyter with openmc.run(threads = 1) with the same result. I am using the default random number seed with a verbosity of 10 so I can see the interactions of each particle.

Would it be possible for someone to run these .xml files to see if they can produce the same result and possibly help me troubleshoot? Also, I am not sure exactly what “disappeared” means in the context of the photoelectric events, so if someone could help me out understanding that I’d really appreciate it.

Thanks so much for your help! Let me know if I can provide anything else.

geometry.xml (765 Bytes)
materials.xml (757 Bytes)
plots.xml (210 Bytes)
settings.xml (572 Bytes)
tallies.xml (1.8 KB)

Hey @madhofs, sorry to hear you’re having an issue with OpenMC dying :skull: I tried running your model on my local machine and it seems to run OK. I also tried reverting back to older versions of OpenMC and still had no issues. What version of OpenMC are you using? Also, what cross sections are you using for this problem? In fact, if you could post the output from when you run OpenMC (turning off the high verbosity), that should answer both questions.