Incorrect Macroscopic Inelastic Cross Section

Dear OpenMC experts,

I created a compound in OpenMC so that I can view the inelastic and elastic contributions to its macroscopic cross section. You can see the plot produced with OpenMC and script which I used below. What’s striking is the inelastic cross section - it has two sharp dips which drop precipitously in magnitude at energies just above and below 1e7 eV. The macroscopic inelastic cross section also does not appear to have any value on the y-scale presented for energies below ~5e6 eV.

I did the same exercise using XS Plotter. But XS Plotter gives me a different/more sensible solution (see last plot) for the inelastic macroscopic cross section. Conversely, the total and elastic macroscopic cross sections seem to agree. I think there is something wrong with the inelastic plotting function in OpenMC. Please let me know what might be awry. Thanks very much!

Plot from OpenMC
err_inelastic-xn

Python Script

import os
from pprint import pprint
import shutil
import subprocess
import urllib.request
import h5py
import os
import numpy as np
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
import openmc.data
from matplotlib.patches import Rectangle
import matplotlib.cm

mesi = openmc.Material()
mesi.add_nuclide('H1', 12.0,'ao')
mesi.add_nuclide('C0', 9.0,'ao')
mesi.set_density('g/cm3', 0.87)
openmc.plot_xs(mesi,['total','elastic','inelastic'],temperature=20)
plt.xlim([1E-5,1.5E8])
plt.ylim([1e-6,100])
plt.title('Macroscopic Cross Sections for Mesitylene at 20K')
plt.show()

Plot Obtained with XS Plotter

Best,
Dalini

Delighted to hear xsplot.com is giving good results, but as great as that website is :wink: I think this might be down to the cross section library used instead of anything else.

Xsplot currently plots TENDL cross sections

I guess you are using ENDF B 7.1 when plotting with OpenMC

If you want to make use of TENDL nuclear data or other libraries in your Openmc plot here are some handy repositories and links

https://openmc.org/official-data-libraries/

1 Like

Dear @Shimwell,

Thanks for your reply, and my apologies for the slow reply. I am utilizing JEFF3.3 tables. I know that nuclear data from some libraries, like JEFF3.3, have already been converted to .h5 format for users. I forgot where I found the processed .h5 JEFF3.3 data. Do you know where I can find it?

Also, I am sorry, but I will not be able to provide feedback on this matter for another week or so. I had an accident with my laptop involving a leaky water bottle and will be receiving my new machine in a week. Thanks again for your help!

Best wishes,
-Dalini

Jeff 3.3 h5 files can be downloaded from here
https://openmc.org/official-data-libraries/

Best of luck with the new laptop

1 Like