Source code for openmc.examples

Hello everybody!
I need some help in the openmc.examples of the pwr and the core.
I didn’t understand how the density of the top is different from de bottom nozzle? I’m really confused! The material is the same. Was a homogenezation performed for these two regions? Please, explain me.
Thank you!

Hi @Marco. You can find the source code for the example models that are built-in to OpenMC here.

Hi @paulromano. I saw the source code on the website. I wish somebody could explain to me why the borate water enters in the composition of the structural materials? In the example pwr_core, it happens in the top and bottom nozzle, lower and upper_rad_ref etc. This is my question. Is it a homogenization? If it’s not, what is it then?

By the way, do you happen to know a benchmark of a reactor with burnable poison. I’m simulating a Small Modular Reactor, with two enrichments (1.8 and 3.1% w/o) and the highest enrichment rods use burnable poison, Gd2O3+UO2, being Gd2O3 7-8% w/o. The SMR has 61 FE and the moderator is light water. The system of control is the classic Ag-In-Cd bars. If you happen to know a benchmark I could use, please let me know.
Thanks for your attention.

@Marco The pwr_core example model is based on the Monte Carlo performance benchmark, which is a very simplified PWR model. In many regions, materials end up being homogenized which is why you see boron, water, and structural elements (Fe, Ni, etc.) mixed together.

For a benchmark with burnable poison, I’d recommend checking out the BEAVRS benchmark.