Options of Visualization

Hi!
I’m using an unstructured mesh tally with CAD. I followed the same steps used in the OpenMC’s example notebooks (link) to produce a point cloud image, nevertheless, I’m looking for others options to visualize the results. When the only filter in the tally is the unstructured mesh, the simulation generates a .vtk file with the tally but when there are more filters this doesn’t happen. Is there a way to generate a similar .vtk file from a tally with more than one filter?

Thanks in advance,

Fabricio

https://nbviewer.org/github/openmc-dev/openmc-notebooks/blob/main/unstructured-mesh-part-ii.ipynb

1 Like

I also have this question. The tutorial mentions that you can get point cloud results with another tally, but that is not as useful as elemental results.

I don’t believe this is currently possible. @pshriwise might be able to say more about why we resort to a point cloud for the multiple filter case.

Agreed @kellythomas! Element-based results would be far more useful. In the current implementation of unstructured mesh tallies only the element centroids are being written to the statepoint file, but I have a draft PR open that writes the full mesh definition and enables writing a VTK mesh with data applied. Hopefully I’ll be able to finish that up soon.

1 Like

@pshriwise I saw that on github! I’m looking forward to that release.