Installation Instructions for Beginners

Hello,
I am trying to use OpenMC for my class project to analyze a simple graphite reactor.
I need some clarifications about the installation process.
Which branch would you recommend to use?
Installation of the master branch seems to be different from the develop. Do you use CMake?
PHDF5 in Makefile is just a HDF5 installation directory when built with parallel I/O. Correct?

Upon downloading ENDF-B-VII data for various T and setting CROSS_SECTION var as suggested in the instructions,
the basic examples and tests are not running due to the need for nulide.70c information instead of nuclide.71c which provided in cross_sections.xml.
Do you use different data or settings for these examples and your tests?

Thanks,
Olzhas

Hi Olzhas,

Are you using the release version or the version from the repo? John Xia and I ran into an issue with the tests not working that I believe has since been fixed.

Be Well
Anthony

Yes, right now I have build and installed everything from the latest release version with all the parallel MPI, HDF5, etc. It is on my CAE space if you want to take a look.
I guess I will switch to MCNP x-sections and test again later.

Thanks,
Olzhas

Hi Olzhas,

PHDF5 is just HDF5 with the --enable-parallel. The latest stable version of the code is the master branch which uses MCNP xs for the test suite. We recommend using the master branch unless you are adding new capability to the code.

The current develop branch is a refactor of our build system using CMake/CTest with cross sections available via the get_nndc.py script in the data folder. A new code release is expected by the end of the month.

-Bryan

Trying to use MCNP xs in MCNP_DATA by following the user instructions, I am getting the following error:
ERROR: Node zaid not part of Node ace_table.
application called MPI_Abort(MPI_COMM_WORLD, -1) - process 0

-Olzhas