If i have a full reactor operating at 3600MW thermal, what power should i use just for a pincell?

do i simply divide 3600E6 by the number of fuel assemblies or do I have to take the volume into account to?
I’ve attached my script.SFR_HexPincell.py (4.5 KB)

Generally, you need to divide by the number of assemblies and the number of pincells per assembly: Power/(No_Assemblies*No_Pincells)

1 Like

HI,
thank you for the reply. i haven’t been specified the number of assemblies. Is there a rule of thumb i can use? I have the below details. Also is it in wats cause when i do something like 13E06 for power i get completely different affect then lets say just doing 13 for the depletion of plutonium

I believe there is no a rule of thumb, usually you have more details of the system to be analyzed. My suggestion, try to find documents with more details.

1 Like

So after some digging and using your method it narrows down to 3600 MWth / (453 fuels assembly * 271 fuel pin per assembly) which is 29.324E4 which seems quiet a lot to me considering the problem i’m trying to create is a single hexagonal pincell.

It depends which pin cell you’re trying to simulate. Are you wanting to simulate the peak power pin cell? The lowest power pin cell? To look at the average cell, what Javier suggested will do the trick. Otherwise, multiply by the max pin peaking factor in the core.

The total power for the pin sounds reasonable enough; it should come out to 29.3E3, not 29.3E4 by the way. You should generally expect roughly 20 kW/m (length along the pin) in an American PWR, so if you’re looking at a hex lattice PWR with thinner pins, I think that number sounds about reasonable after dividing by the pin length.

thank you. If its in w/cm can’t i divide the mw thermal by fuel assemblies * number of cell per assembly and then divide by height of pitch?

currently im on 271

Yeah, I think that’s a reasonable approach to get the average linear pin power. Although I think you mean you should divide by the overall pin height, not the pin pitch.

1 Like