XY mesh talley data post processing

Currently I am developing a code to read the XY data ( I.e. N-flux vs time) for each mesh point/ nodal point in the model I am simulating and run a convergence code at each point that gives me a rough estimate for at what x value does the y value converge in the simulation. These converged points will then be used as a profile for the simulation and used to iterate between a CFD software. I am currently using abaqus for this and I have a very similar code developed for abaqus. The issues I am having is finding a good way to extract the XY data and run my post processing code on the data to obtain the profile. I am also struggling to find documentation on exporting these data sets to Abaqus ( this may be a totally different type of problem). Another issue I am having, is figuring out a way to have the convergence code running along side the simulation and having my code tell the open MC code when to stop and just output the converged profile. Please let me know if you have any insight into these issues. Thank you so much for your help it is much appreciated.

Hi JimmyG

Thanks for posting.

Quite a lot in this question but if we start at the beginning it sounds like you have trouble extracting mesh tally data from a simulation.

Can I ask what type of mesh are you simulating as there are a few in openmc. Can you let us know if it is RegularMesh, UnstructuredMesh or one of the other options

Hi Shimwell,
Thank you for your quick reply.
I am looking at using an unstructured mesh, using cubit(trelis now) or Gmsh.

There are two examples for unstructured mesh in the notebooks repo.

Just wondering if these help understand the different ways of extracting data from an UnstrucutredMesh mesh

Yes, this helps a lot thank you! I should be able to obtain the XY data i am looking for now.

1 Like

Hi Shimwell,
i was able to obtain the XY profile o was looking for but do you know if there is a way to have the convergence code running alongside the simulation and having my code tell the open MC code when to stop and just output the converged profile? or is post processing the only way to obtain a converged profile after the simulation has run? Thank you for your help!

Hi Shimwell,
Do you know if there is also a way to convert a Open MC geometry into a cad based geometry? I need a cad model of the Triga Reactor but am struggling to find one.

You could try applying a trigger, here is a link to the docs
https://docs.openmc.org/en/latest/pythonapi/generated/openmc.Trigger.html
I have an example over here

Closest thing I know of is MCNPtoCAD

It would be a cool project to make an OpenMC to CAD tool but Iā€™m not aware of anything out there.

You could look at https://openscad.org/ , CadQuery Examples ā€” CadQuery Documentation and GitHub - gumyr/build123d: A python CAD programming library for inspiration of making CAD and some of the CSG syntax is similar in these CAD these codes