TRISO Fuel modelling

Hello All,

In light of discussion at issue #324 (https://github.com/mit-crpg/openmc/issues/324), is there any chance of a how-to notebook soon for modelling of TRISO fuel particles?

Thanks for your help and keep up the good work.

PING :slight_smile:

Hi Khurrum,

Unfortunately we won’t have such a notebook any time soon. The Python script I used to generate TRISO inputs predates our Python API so I don’t want to stick it in our repo. I won’t update the script any time soon partly because I don’t have the time to do it myself and partly because I am leaving it as an introductory-level project for our undergraduate researchers.

However, I can provide you with an example of my process here (temporary link). The code is unpolished and the xml format is outdated, but I hope it will give you something useful to start from. Here’s a quick explanation: The file “base_geo.xml” gives most of the geometry (a reflected pincell), but lacks the TRISO particles themselves. The file “locs_R0p8_b0p0_t6p75_pf0p35_r0p0565.txt” is a file generated with Serpent that gives the locations of a bunch of TRISO particles. The script “make_geo.py” reads the locations of the TRISO particles from the text file, inserts them into the base geometry, and outputs the full “geometry.xml” file. The script distributes the TRISO particles in a lattice. A lattice is necessary because otherwise the cost of raytracing is prohibitively expensive (the lattice works like an octree).

Good luck!

Thanks sterling harper :slight_smile: