Segmentation Fault in the last version of OpenMC

Dear Group Members,

When I compiled the last version of OpenMC in serial mode, unnecessary warnings were taken (Compilation output file has attached

as compilationOutput.txt).

After compilation, I wanted to check OpenMC code whether working or not. When I run the code for the “basic” example, I had taken “segmentation fault” from the code (segmentation fault file has attached as “segmentationError.txt”). For deeper exploration, I used “strace” command and got “straceOutput.txt” output file. Additionally, debug mode was activated during compilation and debug output has been added as “gdbOutput.txt”.

At the end of the straceOutput.txt file, it can be seen that “initialize.f90” file is failed at the beginning of the module ( when read the XS file or at the and of the XS file).

What can be cause of the error?

Thanks.

Our System Configuration
Linux Distro : Ubuntu 15.10 (64bit)
Fortran version : GNU Fortran (Ubuntu 5.2.1-22ubuntu2) 5.2.1 20151010
HDF5 version : libhdf5-10
Cmake version : cmake version 3.2.2
Make version : GNU Make 4.0 (Built for x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)

compilationOutput.txt (12.3 KB)

gdbOutput.txt (6.14 KB)

segmentationError.txt (1.91 KB)

straceOutput.txt (172 KB)

Sahin,
The default gfortran compiler for Ubuntu 15.10 is gfortran-5 as you mentioned and it seems like if openmc is not optimized for this version of gfortran.
I resolved the problem by installing gfortran-4.9 and compiling both HDF5 and openmc. Some directives could be helpful:

export FC=/usr/bin/gfortran-4.9

wget ftp://ftp.hdfgroup.org/HDF5/current/src/hdf5-*.tar.gz

tar zxvf hdf5-.tar.gz cd hdf5-
./configure –prefix=/opt/hdf5/1.8.16 –enable-fortran –enable-fortran2003
make
sudo make install

export HDF5_ROOT=/opt/hdf5/1.8.16

cd openmc/build

cmake -Dopenmp=on ..
make
sudo make install

It run successfully

Tarek El Bardouni

Thank you Dear Prof.Tarek El Bardouni,
Many thanks for your kindly help and information.
Your advise always helps me a lot .

Dear Tarek El Bardouni,

Thanks for your reply and directives. I hope that OpenMC is prepared to compile new version of gnu fortran compiler as soon as possible.

Osman Sahin CELIKTEN

Thank you Osman for reporting the issue. I’ve confirmed the bug and was able to implement a fix for it which is discussed in this pull request. Once the pull request is reviewed and merged in, you should be able to use gfortran 5.2 to compile from the develop branch.

Best,
Paul