Running depletion calculation in parallel

Hi,

I am fairly new to OpenMC and I a trying to run a depletion calculation in parallel by running mpiexec python script.py, but I get an error saying “RuntimeError: OpenMC aborted unexpectedly”.
Is there anything I should set within my OpenMC script to properly run the code in parallel?

Hi @marti. The “OpenMC aborted unexpectedly” error just means that some error was encountered when the depletion solver tried to actually call the underlying transport solver. Are you able to post the full output from the simulation? That may give more of an indication of where the job is failing, which should narrow down the potential problem. If you’re able to share your script too, I can try to reproduce the error.

Hi Paul, sorry for taking so long to reply.
I did manage to sort it at first, but I’m now getting a similar error again.
Here’s the full output:
Sorry! You were supposed to get help about:
opal_init:startup:internal-failure
But I couldn’t open the help file:
/opt/ThirdParty-10/platforms/linux64Gcc/openmpi-2.1.1/share/openmpi/help-opal-runtime.txt: No such file or directory. Sorry!

orte_init:startup:internal-failure
/opt/ThirdParty-10/platforms/linux64Gcc/openmpi-2.1.1/share/openmpi/help-orte-runtime: No such file or directory. Sorry!

mpi_init:startup:internal-failure
/opt/ThirdParty-10/platforms/linux64Gcc/openmpi-2.1.1/share/openmpi/help-mpi-runtime.txt: No such file or directory. Sorry!

*** An error occurred in MPI_Init
*** on a NULL communicator
*** MPI_ERRORS_ARE_FATAL (processes in this communicator will now abort,
*** and potentially your MPI job)
[ip-172-31-2-226:30110] Local abort before MPI_INIT completed completed successfully, but am not able to aggregate error messages, and not able to guarantee that all other processes were killed!
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/mpuig/openmc/esfr/esfr_dep.py”, line 443, in
openmc.run()
File “/home/mpuig/miniconda3/envs/openmc-env/lib/python3.11/site-packages/openmc/executor.py”, line 280, in run
_run(args, output, cwd)
File “/home/mpuig/miniconda3/envs/openmc-env/lib/python3.11/site-packages/openmc/executor.py”, line 118, in _run
raise RuntimeError(error_msg)
RuntimeError: OpenMC aborted unexpectedly.

The script is the example script for Tokamak simulations (GitHub - fusion-energy/magnetic_fusion_openmc_dagmc_paramak_example).

Thank you!!