Question about OpenMC plotter

Hi guys,

I am trying to install the OpenMC plotter on the Ubuntu 18 VirtualBox. A new Conda environment was created for the plotter, and the installation process was smooth. However, when I try to test the plotter, the OpenMC model has been loaded into the process, but the viewer does not give any feedback. I can see the OpenMC logo on the screen but can not see any GUI after that.

The screenshot of the terminal would be attached here. Please contact me if you know why it looks like that.

Moreover, I had a tally with flux score and 3D mesh filter. Is there any method to the data visualization to the 3D plot?

Thanks in advance,

Yiming

Hi Yiming,

Thanks for giving the plotter a try! There’s a line in the startup that indicates the version of OpenMC in use isn’t compatible with the plotter. The plotting currently relies on the develop branch of OpenMC. We’ll be creating a formal release for the plotter soon which will ensure that a compatible version of OpenMC is available before attempting to start the application.

In the meantime, I’ve just added the openmc-v0.12.0 tag to the openmc-plotter repo which marks the last working version of the plotter for the last release of OpenMC and the one distributed with conda at this time. The plotter should work if you check out this version of the plotter and reinstall it.

$ git checkout tags/openmc-v0.12.0

Let me know if you run into any other issues there.

As for your other question

Moreover, I had a tally with flux score and 3D mesh filter. Is there any method to the data visualization to the 3D plot?

There is! You can load a statepoint file (Data -> Open statepoint...) and view tallies with spatial filters. You could also have a look at the openmc-plot-mesh-tally script if that would better suit your needs.

Hope this helps.

-Patrick

Hi Patrick,
Many thanks for your reply. OpenMC plotter is very helpful to my work. Is it possible to export the figure’s data by the plotter?

Best,
Yiming

Hi @YimingZ,

You should be able to save a PNG of whatever appears in the plotter under the File menu using the Save Image As... option. Is that what you’re looking for?

Best,

Patrick