Question about how to use source

I’m unfortunately not familiar with the neutron tally files from FLUKA, so it’s difficult for me to give specific advice on this issue. Are you suggesting that you want a source of different intensity in each of the cylindrical sub-volumes? If you could be more specific with what you’re trying to do, perhaps I can advise further.

Beyond the rudimentary source options (source uniformly distributed in a box, point source), there is also an option to use a source file which contains the positions, directions, and energies of source sites. However, normally this file is generated directly from an OpenMC run. It would be possible to have a script create a source file though.

Best,
Paul

Hi NiuOBA,

I’ve attached a Python script that shows an example of creating a source file. The documentation for the upcoming release of OpenMC has a detailed file specification for the source file, but you can see from the script what goes into it. The source sites are stored in a numpy array with a compound datatype. Note that if you are using OpenMC 0.7.0 (as opposed to the current developmental branch), you should remove the ‘delayed_group’ field (just get rid of the last tuple in the source_dtype list). Hopefully the example is self-explanatory, but let me know if you have any questions.

Best,
Paul

make_source.py (927 Bytes)

You can find the source for the documentation on output file formats here:
https://github.com/mit-crpg/openmc/tree/develop/docs/source/usersguide/output

Best,
Paul