Pymoab error with openmc-dagmc-wrapper

Hi all

I’m trying to use openmc-dagmc-wrapper and keep running into this module error: ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘pymoab’.
While installing and setting up DAGMC I added --enable-pymoab command to the configuration so I was not expecting to run into error.
Any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks
Krislin

Hi KSartakov

openmc-dagmc-wrapper was a bit of a testing ground for trying out features that make dagmc easier to use in openmc, I’m glad to say all the good bits of that software package are now in openmc directly. So I don’t think there is any need to use openmc-dagmc-wrapper these days and the repo is archived.

However it appears the error you mention is related to PyMoab, you can find details of installing PyMoab on their repo Bitbucket . However we now include PyMoab with the conda distribution of openmc so if you install openmc via conda you should find pymoab gets installed as well.

Otherwise if you want to install pymoab without conda then you would have to compile Moab from source and then install pymoab as part of the process.

All the best

Jon

Hi Jon, thank you for the response.

Could there be a overlap with the pymoab that comes with the openmc installation and the pymoab I configured with DAGMC that causes this error?

From my own attempts, Pymoab is a little difficult to install. I have found it easier with Moab version 5.3 and not actually got it working with the newer versions yet. Others have similar experience.

For example DAGMC CI makes use of moab 5.3 from source and installs pymoab like this https://github.com/svalinn/DAGMC/blob/8ae0b4c5ec8f914e5f5fb0170ea83c4c0ba40318/CI/Dockerfile#L172-L189

Another example of installing pymoab 5.3 from source is here https://github.com/fusion-energy/neutronics-workshop/blob/fc2d3ccfc8f4d7a9bd5ab15fc52f996160d26472/.devcontainer/base.Dockerfile#L169-L185

It is certainly possible to get python versions tangled when installing pymoab. Perhaps good to use virtual/conda environments to avoid overlaps

Thank you for the links. I will look into those!