Problem in Windows 10 Compilation

Hello All,

I tried compiling the develop branch on Windows using most of the instructions from https://github.com/openmc-dev/openmc/pull/1249.

Cmake 3.15.3 and hdf5-1.10.5 was used. cmake detects hdf5 fine as discussed in the pull request and solution file is generated.

when i try to build the solution, i get 12 errors and 564 warnings. all the errors are attached here.

Can you please tell me the solution for this.

secondly, i didn’t see any instructions in the documentation regarding this procedure. Would much appreciate inclusion of windows compilation instructions in the documentation also.

Thanks and keep up the good work.

Sorry I forgot to mention that I am using VS 14 2015.

Hi Khurrum,

Windows is not an officially supported platform yet, although we are making some progress on it. It appears that VS 14 is not sufficient because it doesn’t fully implement the C++14 standard; in particular, it doesn’t have support for default member initializers for aggregates which was added in VS 15. If you’re able to update your version of Visual Studio, you may have better success.

On Windows 10, another alternative is to use the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL), which allows you to run a Linux distribution inside of Windows. We do mention this in our installation instructions presently. That is probably the approach I would recommend at this point.

Best regards,
Paul

Thanks Paul. I tried with VS 15 2017 and code compiles fine.

Thank you again…