OpenMC v0.12.0 tarball missing submodule source

When trying to build OpenMC from zip or tarball, looks like its missing source in the vendor folder. I am getting this error:

25 CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:139 (message):
26 The git submodules were not downloaded! GIT_SUBMODULE was turned off or
27 failed. Please update submodules and try again.

Can someone remake the zip and tarballs with that source in there.

Thanks!

Welcome @bherman! It doesn’t look like it’s possible to have github include the submodule sources in the archives that are automatically created. I can create a one-off tarball that does include those and upload it somewhere else. Would that work for you?

@paulromano - Well I’m updating the Spack package module for OpenMC. Why would 0.11.0 have it correct and not 0.12.0? I need a common location where you would host tarballs that Spack would use.

Ah, I see. We didn’t use git submodules until this last release, which is why v0.11.0 works fine but v0.12.0 doesn’t. It looks like Spack does have a way of dealing with submodules. I’m not sure if that’s exactly what you need though?

Gotcha…didnt realize! I’ll think about possible solutions including using Git instead of tarballs to get the source. Stinks that the tarballs can’t capture the entire source automatically.

@paulromano how are you uploading the tarballs to GitHub?

They are automatically generated by GitHub, so no uploading is done on my part. Evidently behind the scenes it is done using git-archive, which doesn’t know about git submodules, so unfortunately this is something that would need to be fixed in git itself.

Ok thanks, I’ll also look into uploading custom assets maybe we can make a local tarball and then upload it using their API. Call it like openmc-v0.12.0-src.tgz or something…In the future we could have a GitHub workflow do it automatically when a tag is pushed.