Installation without internet access

Hi,

What’s the recommended route for installing OpenMC on a Linux system which is isolated from the outside world (for security reasons) and therefore has no way of downloading packages, dependencies, etc?

There is a route for downloading files on another machine and transferring them to the target system, but ideally we want to be able to download a complete package which is going to work “out of the box”.

Thanks,
Simon

I guess cloning the repo with submodules then compiling is the popular option. There are other options like building a docker image and performing a docker save then transferring the compressed file.

When installing on an air network that has conda I tend to download the tar.bz2 conda package from the selection of openmc versions

Assuming you download the openmc-0.13.2-dagmc_nompi_py39h45bf7b8_100.tar.bz2 version then the command to install from the file using Conda would be

conda install openmc-0.13.2-dagmc_nompi_py39h45bf7b8_100.tar.bz2

I would agree with @Shimwell’s suggestions above. As far as the core solver goes, cloning the repo with submodules (git clone --recurse-submodules) and then putting that in an archive that can be transferred onto the airgapped system would be sufficient. The biggest challenge really is all the Python dependencies. @simonr for the system you’re working on, is there an established way of handling Python third-party packages?

Thanks @Shimwell,

I’ll see if I can get conda installed as a first step. Everything is a challenge on this type of system as I can’t transfer files or install things myself, I have to log an IT support ticket.

Simon

Thanks @paulromano,

I was provided with a source archive on the target system but the build complained about git submodules. I don’t know how it was downloaded/cloned. I’ll ask IT support to reclone as you suggest.

As for Python packages, it’s a case of asking IT to install them on a case by case basis. Is there a full list of dependencies somewhere?

Everything is a lot simpler on my own Macs!

Thanks,
Simon

The most authoritative list of Python dependencies can be found in our setup.py file:

2 Likes