OpenMC monthly drop in session dates 2022

Dear OpenMC community

We are organising monthly drop in sessions for 2022 :tada:

This will be an opportunity for:

:point_right: Contributors to present their plans / ideas for code contributions (limited to 5 mins per talk)
:point_right: Developers to present future plans for OpenMC (limited to 5 mins per talk)
:point_right: New users to ask questions and learn about the ecosystem
:point_right: Poster session with poster stands

The format could evolve over the year with feedback :arrows_counterclockwise: from participants.

A video explainer for gather town map :video_camera:

The Gather Town map where the meeting occurs

We have chosen the last working day of each month so it is easy to remember and also rotates the day of the week that the event occurs on. Here are the dates :calendar: for 2022

Monday, January 31, 2022 3:00 PM β†’ Monday, January 31, 2022 4:00 PM

Monday, February 28, 2022 3:00 PM β†’ Monday, February 28, 2022 4:00 PM

Thursday, March 31, 2022 2:00 PM β†’ Thursday, March 31, 2022 3:00 PM

Friday, April 29, 2022 2:00 PM β†’ Friday, April 29, 2022 3:00 PM

Tuesday, May 31, 2022 2:00 PM β†’ Tuesday, May 31, 2022 3:00 PM

Thursday, June 30, 2022 2:00 PM β†’ Thursday, June 30, 2022 3:00 PM

Friday, July 29, 2022 2:00 PM β†’ Friday, July 29, 2022 3:00 PM

Wednesday, August 31, 2022 2:00 PM β†’ Wednesday, August 31, 2022 3:00 PM

Friday, September 30, 2022 2:00 PM β†’ Friday, September 30, 2022 3:00 PM

Monday, October 31, 2022 2:00 PM β†’ Monday, October 31, 2022 3:00 PM

Wednesday, November 30, 2022 3:00 PM β†’ Wednesday, November 30, 2022 4:00 PM

Friday, December 30, 2022 3:00 PM β†’ Friday, December 30, 2022 4:00 PM

5 Likes

Just a small note to mention the times have just been updated on the original post above and are now more suitable for Chicago attendees

Just posting here to reminder people that the next monthly meet up is coming up on Thursday the 31st, we have had good turn out to the first two events with about 8 people turning up to each event.

1 Like

Great turn out today, lots of interesting conversations.

2 Likes

Just to mention that the next regular monthly meet up is tomorrow (29th/April/2022). It fits in nicely with the last day of the NEA training course, hope to see some new attendees.

1 Like

Just to mention the next monthly meet up is tomorrow (31st of May). Times and calendar invite at the top of this thread. I think there will be some presentation on various topics, I aim to present some testing, packaging and extending of the openmc-dev/data repository that I’ve been working on a separate fork.

The next monthly drop-in session is coming up on Friday, June 29. Times and the calendar invite are at the top of this thread. I think @paulromano has an update on some fusion neutronics work. I’ll come up with a short update as well – maybe on the unstructured mesh VTK work that @kellythomas has been interested in.

1 Like

The next monthly meet up is approaching on Friday the 30th of September, times and open invite link are at the top of this thread :point_up:

Hope to see you there. I’m hoping to present a recently refined :rocket: method of bringing in CAD geometry to OpenMC (via DAGMC).

1 Like

I just noticed the next drop in session date is in the holidays for many people between Christmas and new years. Might be best to cancel or move it. Does anyone have a preference?

I vote we cancel it β€” I’ll be traveling over the holidays and wouldn’t be able to make it.

1 Like

Same here. Agreed that we skip this one and plan on catching up in Jan.

1 Like

Looking forward to seeing you all in January.

Hi! Excited to see everyone in January. Just to confirm, are the 2023 monthly drop-in session dates posted yet?

1 Like

The dates for 2023 haven’t been posted yet. Before we do so though, I think this is a good chance to revisit the schedule and setup. In particular:

• Are people generally OK with the last business day of the month as we’ve been doing?
  • We had numerous technical issues with Gather Town. I would personally be in favor of permanently switching over to Zoom but curious if others have a preference.
1 Like

Zoom is fine with me and probably more professional :slightly_smiling_face:. I do like the easy of carrying out parallel conversations in gather but I don’t think we ever hit the critical mass for that feature to be of benefit. Could the zoom be an open invite password free?

Zoom or Gather Town are fine by me. I find the Gather Town thing cute.

Last day of the month is nice and easy to remember; would love if it were an hour later as I am not a morning person, but yeah - difficult to find hours that fit globally.

Just to mention the 2023 monthly meet up dates and times have been announced over on this new thread OpenMC monthly meeting dates 2023

1 Like