OpenMC installation on Windows

I am trying to run/install OpenMC on Windows and having the following issue. I did review the old discussions and those didn’t help.

On Anaconda Prompt (miniconda3) shell, the command “conda install openmc” yields the following:

++++++++++++++++++++++++

(base) C:\Users\fakhr>conda activate openmc-env

(openmc-env) C:\Users\fakhr>conda install openmc
Retrieving notices: …working… done
Channels:

• conda-forge
  • defaults
    Platform: win-64
    Collecting package metadata (repodata.json): done
    Solving environment: failed

PackagesNotFoundError: The following packages are not available from current channels:

• openmc

Current channels:

To search for alternate channels that may provide the conda package you’re
looking for, navigate to

https://anaconda.org

and use the search bar at the top of the page.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

On Anaconda Prompt (miniconda3) shell, the command “mamba install openmc” yields the following:

++++++++++++++++++++++++
Looking for: [‘openmc’]

warning libmamba Cache file “C:\Users\fakhr\miniconda3\envs\openmc-env\pkgs\cache\5afe41e9.json” was modified by another program
warning libmamba Cache file “C:\Users\fakhr\miniconda3\envs\openmc-env\pkgs\cache\09cdf8bf.json” was modified by another program
warning libmamba Cache file “C:\Users\fakhr\miniconda3\envs\openmc-env\pkgs\cache\59ba4880.json” was modified by another program
pkgs/main/win-64 (check zst) Checked 0.1s
warning libmamba Cache file “C:\Users\fakhr\miniconda3\envs\openmc-env\pkgs\cache\3e39a7aa.json” was modified by another program
pkgs/main/noarch (check zst) Checked 0.0s
warning libmamba Cache file “C:\Users\fakhr\miniconda3\envs\openmc-env\pkgs\cache\920c960f.json” was modified by another program
pkgs/r/win-64 (check zst) Checked 0.1s
warning libmamba Cache file “C:\Users\fakhr\miniconda3\envs\openmc-env\pkgs\cache\4ea078d6.json” was modified by another program
pkgs/r/noarch (check zst) Checked 0.1s
warning libmamba Cache file “C:\Users\fakhr\miniconda3\envs\openmc-env\pkgs\cache\5ca77eed.json” was modified by another program
pkgs/msys2/win-64 (check zst) Checked 0.1s
warning libmamba Cache file “C:\Users\fakhr\miniconda3\envs\openmc-env\pkgs\cache\c4a505b4.json” was modified by another program
pkgs/msys2/noarch (check zst) Checked 0.0s
pkgs/r/win-64 633.1kB @ 1.5MB/s 0.4s
pkgs/main/noarch 705.1kB @ 1.6MB/s 0.4s
pkgs/msys2/win-64 35.1kB @ 64.4kB/s 0.1s
pkgs/msys2/noarch 103.0 B @ 184.0 B/s 0.1s
pkgs/r/noarch 2.1MB @ 1.5MB/s 0.8s
pkgs/main/win-64 5.3MB @ 3.1MB/s 1.7s
conda-forge/noarch 14.1MB @ 3.9MB/s 3.6s
conda-forge/win-64 21.5MB @ 4.3MB/s 5.0s

Pinned packages:

• python 3.12.*

Could not solve for environment specs
The following package could not be installed
└─ openmc does not exist (perhaps a typo or a missing channel).

++++++++++++++++++++++++

With Docker running, not sure what the command “docker run openmc/openmc:latest” on Windows Power Shell does or how OpenMC can be used from here.

Thank you for your help!

Currently the conda build does not support Windows.

To run on a windows computer you can either use docker or windows subsystem for linux. Please see the installation guide for more details Quick Install Guide — OpenMC Documentation

There is also some effort being put into getting openmc working on windows if you would like to know more about that then take a look at this PR Initial Windows Support by HunterBelanger · Pull Request #2919 · openmc-dev/openmc · GitHub

I tried the other two options as well.

On WSL, I am not able to use the sudo (or apt-get) command. Using the command(s) giving the following error message: “sudo not found” (“apt-get not found”). I had this issue in the past but was able to easily install sudo and then use the command. That isn’t working now! Must be something basic!

Could you elaborate a little on how OpenMC can be used using Docker? I have the Docker running. Not sure what the command “docker run openmc/openmc:latest” on Windows Power Shell does or how OpenMC can be used from here.

Here is a video showing docker and windows usage with openmc.

It is a bit out of date so some things might have changed.