Error executing command: "pip install ."

Hello everyone!
I’m a beginner with the OpenMC. I installed OpenMC from Anaconda3 via ubuntu and everything went fine but when I try to run the last command “pip install .” which will load OpenMC on jupyter notebook, I get an error :
“ERROR: Directory ‘.’ is not installable. Neither ‘setup.py’ nor ‘pyproject.toml’ found.”
I’ve tried updating pip and also python but I still get the same error.
I need help. Thanks in advance!

Hi Elie

This sounds like you are mixing two different install methods.

One method is to install openmc via conda

One method is to perform a source install which has a pip install . command as part of the procedure.

These two methods and others are listed in the documentation Quick Install Guide — OpenMC Documentation

We don’t currently have a pypi distribution for openmc but it is being worked on.

At this point, if I try to load OpenMC on jupyther notebook, I get an error:
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘openmc’

I don’t know if the problem is at what level
But at least the installation of anaconda, mamba and OpenMC went off without a hitch.

Sounds a bit like jupyter is using a different python version. Perhaps you can select a different python kernal from within jupyter

I managed to solve it.
It was a PATH problem. To run the pip install . command, you need to be in the OpenMC directory where you cloned OpenMC with the command git clone --recurse-submodules https://github.com/openmc-dev/openmc.git.
Thank you very much Mr. Shimwell for taking the trouble to reply!