Chain Depletion

Hello,

Please, someone can tell me if the depletion chain generated by the script “openmc-make-depletion-chain” (which creates the file “chain_endfb71.xml”) can be used to analyze advanced systems such as liquid salt cooled reactors?

Thanks,

Javier

Hi Javier,

The main drawback to that script is that your capture branching ratios will not match the true spectrum of your problem. Instead, I would first recommend using either the Fast Spectrum ENDF/B-VII.1 Chain or Fast Spectrum Simplified Chain found at https://openmc.org/depletion-chains/. Alternatively, if you have a more representative collection of isomeric branching ratios, you can apply these to any depletion chain using the openmc.deplete.Chain.set_branch_ratios method.

Regards,

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your reply, now, I am having a new issue. In a previous post, it was recommended setting the OPENMC_CROSS_SECTIONS environment variable, I did it and my depletion analysis was running. Today, I restarted the computer and I am having again the error message “OSError: No cross_sections.xml specified in materials.” I followed the steps to set up the OPENMC_CROSS_SECTIONS environment variable but it is not working.

Any idea on what may be happening?

Javier

Hi Javier,

That exception is only raised if the OPENMC_CROSS_SECTIONS is not set. You can see the code where that comes from here (notice the check first for OPENMC_CROSS_SECTIONS):
https://github.com/openmc-dev/openmc/blob/f4e46fd620ddb96755f73df6d2d079ea694ae8a6/openmc/deplete/operator.py#L694-L708

To double check, you could open a Python interactive prompt and make sure it can see the environment variable. For example, on my machine this is what I get:

~ $ python
Python 3.7.5 (default, Oct 31 2019, 12:53:15)
[GCC 9.2.1 20191008] on linux
Type “help”, “copyright”, “credits” or “license” for more information.

import os
os.environ[‘OPENMC_CROSS_SECTIONS’]
‘/opt/data/hdf5/nndc_hdf5_v15/cross_sections.xml’

Best regards,
Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for replying.
One more time, I followed what was suggested but unfortunately the problem persists. Please, see what I did:

Hi guys,

Now, I defined the environment variable modifying the.bashrc file and it is working. It seems I was doing wrong. Here what I did:

~ vi .bashrc ~ vi .bashrc
export OPENMC_CROSS_SECTIONS=/path/to/cross_sections.xml
~$ source .bashrc

Thanks,
Javier