WARNING: No intersection found with DAGMC cell 1, filled with material 1

Hi all, I’m using openmc with Paramak to simulate blanket/reactor geometries and have ran into the error in the title. So far my setup is rather rudimentary; a plasma source and a blanket comprised of several layers but I aim to build up the complexity eventually. My question is how do I go about fixing this error? I have a suspicion that this means I have overlaps within my geometry - indeed the plot shows some overlaps between some layers of my geometry - but these appear in the third/fourth layers and the issue mentions cell 1, which I believe is the first layer (first wall).

I’ve been told I may need to install and use some package such as cubit, but first I would like to understand the issue and make sure it really is an overlap issue and not something else. I’d really appreciate if someone would be able to run the script and give me any pointers. I’ve used openMC a lot so far but have always used CSG, rather than CAD/DAGMC so don’t know much about the issue. Thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

Edit: for context I’m running in jupyter notebook in the neutronics workshop docker container

bad_onion_5_heat2.py (8.2 KB)

Hi Stefan

Thanks for posting, the model looks like it contains quite a lot of CAD volumes. Did you have any success with smaller simpler versions which just have a single volume in? I would be tempted to go one at a time and build up to the multi volume model you have now.

Other things you could try include adding extra arguments to the export_dagmc_h5m method call. It supports min and max values for the mesh.

I am currently trying to improve the cad_to_dagmc package which does the underlying export to DAGMC. So this might improve in the future.

Cubit with the DAGMC plugin could be used to import STEP files and convert them to DAGMC as well.

1 Like

Thanks so much for your reply. I tried taking away all layers except for the first but I still got the error, which was curious, and suggests that cell overlap is not the issue. I then went back to a script I was running a few days before and modified the geometry to be more like this one, and have had no errors. Still not sure where the problem is arising from but at least I have a working script now. Thanks

1 Like