Void space configuration: "No boundary conditions were applied to any surfaces!"

Hi OpenMC Community:

I am close to having my model run, but I must be configuring my voidspace incorrectly. I am getting the following error when trying to execute openmc.run(): “RuntimeError: No boundary conditions were applied to any surfaces! -------------------------------------------------------------------------- MPI_ABORT was invoked on rank 0 in communicator MPI_COMM_WORLD with errorcode -1. NOTE: invoking MPI_ABORT causes Open MPI to kill all MPI processes. You may or may not see output from other processes, depending on exactly when Open MPI kills them. --------------------------------------------------------------------------”

I have set up my void space as a large sphere, and have assigned the material in my material card as follows:

void = openmc.Material(name='void')

I then define my void space in my geometry card as follows:

void = openmc.Sphere(r=500, boundary_type='vacuum')
void_region = +void
void.fill = void
void.region = void_region

This set’s up a large sphere and sets a boundary type as vacuum for all space outside the sphere. I then define this as a region.

The only statement in my geometry card that interacts with this void is my air between my defined surfaces and the voidspace, which is as follows:

air_region = -void & ~tungsten_region_1 & ~steel_region_1 & ~steel_region_2 & ~steel_region_3 & ~steel_region_4 & ~beryllium_region_1 & ~flibe_region_1 & ~flibe_region_2 & ~flibe_region_3 & ~flibe_region_4 & ~steel_block_region & ~concrete_slab_region & ~pump_region & ~nu2100_region

Why is openmc not recognizing this void space? Am I incorrectly defining it? This also seems to affect plotting, where sometimes my plot statement assigns material by colour and sometimes doesn’t, leaving all geometry as default green.

This has been fixed. OpenMC has a built in void material- such that no specified regions with materials are considered void inherently. Adding additional material definitions such as void with no cross sections applied causes issues with the region specification. In addition, cell structure was not correctly defined in the universe.