Running error

Hi,

I am trying to run the basic example and I getting a runtime error.
I am using Tendl data library as suggested by the user manual but it seems there is a problem in one file. Does anybody here have this problem too ? Here goes a printscreen of what it is happening, I would appreciate any clue! best regards

Hi Roberto,

Is your TENDL data in ASCII or binary format? Also, what cross_sections.xml are you using? (attaching it may be helpful in diagnosing what’s going on)

Best,
Paul

I am also having some TENDL errors and am wondering if anyone else came across these

I have written a openmc-get-tendl-data python script which is based on the openmc-get-jeff-data and openmc-get-nndc-data scripts

I attach the openmc-get-tendl-data script and I would like to add this to the git repo once it is working

The script manages to convert some ACE files to h5 format using:

openmc.data.IncidentNeutron.from_ace(filename)

However it breaks on a particular isotope (B010) with the following error

Converting: tendl-2017/ace-17/B010
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “scripts/openmc-get-tendl-data”, line 141, in
data = openmc.data.IncidentNeutron.from_ace(filename)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/openmc-0.10.0-py3.6.egg/openmc/data/neutron.py”, line 671, in from_ace
ace = get_table(ace_or_filename)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/openmc-0.10.0-py3.6.egg/openmc/data/ace.py”, line 119, in get_table
lib = Library(filename)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/openmc-0.10.0-py3.6.egg/openmc/data/ace.py”, line 174, in init
self._read_ascii(fh, table_names, verbose)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/openmc-0.10.0-py3.6.egg/openmc/data/ace.py”, line 354, in _read_ascii
assert xss.size == nxs[1] + 1
AssertionError

I am posting here to see if anyone has had any luck using tendl 2017 or knows a solution to the error above.

openmc-get-tendl-data (4.56 KB)

Funny you should ask about this as I’m working on this exact issue right now. The B10 evaluation in TENDL 2017 comes directly from ENDF/B-VIII.0. I’ve found that when processing the B/VIII.0 evaluation of B10 with NJOY, a value in the ACE file that indicates the total length of the file is actually wrong. I’ve reported this to the NJOY developers, but they don’t have a fix yet. In the meantime, you can get around this by manually changing the value in the file. If you go into the B010 file and change the first value on the 7th line from 86843 to 86896, you should be able to convert it then. I wish I had a better solution but at least this should allow you to use that file.

Best,
Paul