Repeating Cells & Universes

Hello,

I’m trying to construct a model of the fuel element shown in Figure 1. Firstly, I created a universe (univ1, see Figure 2) with different cells, including lattices with TRISO particles (located in the red stripes), and used it to fill cell1. After that, I created a second cell (cell2), filled it with univ1 and rotated it 120 degrees around the z-axis. I ran OpenMC in geometry debug mode to check and I noticed that cell1 and cell2 are overlapping. I tried to create the root universe including both cells, but only cell1 is depicted when I fill the root universe with both cells. If it is filled only with cell2, this cell is presented rotated. Here a little part of the script:

cell1 = openmc.Cell(cell_id=24, name=‘Region 1’, fill=univ1)

cell2 = openmc.Cell(cell_id=25, name=‘Region 2’, fill=univ1)

cell2.rotation = (0, 0, 120)

root_universe = openmc.Universe(universe_id=7, cells=[cell1, cell2])

root_universe.plot(origin=(0, 0, 0), width=(60, 60), pixels=(200, 200), color_by=‘material’)

I was reading the following post from Paul Romano (dated 10/18/18) which I believe is closely related to my situation:

“The root universe you’ve defined contains cell1 and cell2, but both of these cells do not have any region defined and thus occupy all space. Thus, they overlap one another. When you try to plot the geometry, it only sees the first cell it comes across (cell1) which is why you can’t see the rotated cell/universe. Unfortunately there’s no easy way around this…”

Please, someone could tell me if this matter was solved or could give me some tips to resolve my issue?

Thank you,

Javier

Figure_2.jpg

Hi Javier,

Yes, that explanation from a previous post matches your situation. The problem is that two cells that are part of the same universe cannot overlap one another. When no region is defined for a cell, it is assumed to occupy all space. To resolve this, you would need to define a region for cell1 and cell2 such that they do not overlap one another.

Best,
Paul

Thank you Paul, I will do what you suggest.

Javier

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your feedback, I was able to create the full geometry (Figure 1). Now, as you can see in Figure 2, I have another issue . Please, could you tell me what could be the origin of the Warnings and Errors shown? Any recommendation?

In Figure 1, I have identified the imposed boundary conditions:

py42.boundary_type=‘periodic’

py43.boundary_type=‘periodic’

p08.boundary_type=‘periodic’

p10.boundary_type=‘periodic’

p11.boundary_type=‘periodic’

p12.boundary_type=‘periodic’

p08.periodic_surface = p11

p10.periodic_surface = p12

pz01.boundary_type=‘reflective’

pz02.boundary_type=‘reflective’

Javier