Prompt neutrons producing fissions over total number of neutrons

Hello everyone,

I need to calculate the ratio of Prompt neutrons producing fissions over Total number of neutrons (ratio unitless).

The numerator should be determined by starting running a specific calculation with settings.create_delayed_neutrons = False for getting the Total fission reaction rate (score “fission”) [reactions/source - prompt neutron]. I guess the scores “prompt-nu-fission” and “nu-fission” should then be used as well as, for the total number of neutrons, the score “heating” along with the total reactor power, all of this for normalization and ending with a unitless value of the sought ratio.

Nevertheless, even with all these terms, I cannot get any satisfying formulas.

Could anyone please help me?

Thank you in advance.
Best regards,
Dimitrius

For getting this ratio, should it be fine to consider the equivalent in reaction rates, ie Total fission reaction rate (“fission”) normalized with The recoverable fission energy production rate (“fission-q-recoverable”) and Power, over the Total reaction rate (“total”) normalized with the Total nuclear heating (“heating”) and Power?

I do not know MCNP, but I have been told the “neutrons loss to fissions” (the sought ratio of this topic) is a “natural” output of this code. Does someone know much more?

Best

@paulromano

Dear Paul,

The ratio determined only by fission-q-recoverable (eV/source-prompt-neutron, with settings.create_delayed_neutrons = False) over heating (eV/source-neutron) would be sufficient?

Would you have any clues for me regarding all of that?

Deep thanks in advance.