Problem with Plotting

I’m wondering if others are running into the same issues. I’m working with a fairly complex input file and for a long while was able to generate plots in several dimensions after converting the files, but now it seems only a random plot of the three I specify loads properly. What I get now instead of the very clear reactor geometry is shown below (I can’t share specific geometry for proprietary concerns). I just want to know if other users have had plots show up like this when no other errors appear and the code runs properly. Any help would be appreciated.!

Can you paste the output of openmc -v? There were some recent changes to export png files rather than ppm. You could also try changing the file extension from ppm to png or vice-versa.

Could you be more specific on how to use openmc -v? We use prun because we are multi-threading on a server, I’m not sure if we can do a -v command. Is that done in the command line or added to the input file specifically? (Still a very new code for me and not super familiar with the interface). It seems our picture issues arrive when we start using multi-threading to run the inputs on our server, could the conversion from ppm to png (which we currently use) be affected by that?

Well how are you running OpenMC? Just run openmc -v. It will give the exact version you compiled.

@rherner Not sure if you ever figured out what was going on, but just thought that I’d add that multithreading is only used to generate the plot internally in memory but at the point that it is written to file, no multithreading is used, so the ppm (or png) file should come out fine. Similarly, conversion from ppm to png shouldn’t be affected by multithreading.

We’ve been able to rectify this issue, there’s several other areas we’re troubleshooting now thank you for your responses the feedback is very helpful

1 Like

Nice! If it’s anything we can fix or add a warning message when the conditions that caused what you originally experienced arise, please let us know.