Negative distance warning with hexagonal lattice

I’ve been running into “Particle * had a negative distance to a lattice boundary” warnings with a hexagonal lattice model, and I can’t seem to find what the problem is.

I’ve simplified the model (attached) to try to find the source of the error, and the only thing I can find is that the lattice pitch cannot exceed a particular value (~31 cm) without incurring a “Maximum number of lost particles has been reached” error.

I’ve looked through previous questions where this warning was reported, but I can’t seem to find a solution. I’m using OpenMC 0.11.0 on a linux cluster with anaconda3-2019.03. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Sourena

hex_lattice.py (1.98 KB)

I’m having the same issue. Hope someone finds a solution!

Thanks,

Ashlea.

Hi Ashlea,

There was a bug fix that was submitted back in November for this issue, so you should not experience this issue on our next release (or if you use the latest ‘develop’ branch of OpenMC).

Best regards,
Paul

Dear Sir,
I am also encountering the same error " WARNING: Particle #### had a negative distance to a lattice boundary".
You have mentioned that the bug has been fixed in newer version. Kindly let me know the version?
Currently, I am using openMC version 0.11.0.
Your kind guidance in this regard is highly appreciated.

With thanks & best regards,
L Thilagam

Hi @thilagam!

Sorry to hear you’re running into this warning.

There was an issue with the use of absolute distances in the hex lattice code that was causing some trouble. A full description of the problem can be found here. A fix for this was introduced in v0.12.0. Mind giving that version a try?

-Patrick

Dear Sir,
Thanks for your kind reply.
The error was due to a minor mistake in my geometry and it has got eliminated after correcting it.
Once again, thank you for guiding and supporting beginners through this OpenMC forum.

With best regards,
L Thilagam

1 Like