Kernel dies during depletion analysis

i’m trying to run a depletion calculation for a whole core with around 50,000+ fuel rods. After the first step of depletion it takes very long time to save the openmc_simulation_n0.h5 file & after that the kernel dies ,the second step doesn’t starts . i tried many times but the results are same. can anyone tell me where is the problem?

Maybe it is expensive to calculate. Have you tried to calculate one sixth of the core?

you may use rotational periodic type

Well, my fellow nuclear colleague, you should look at your picture and understand which element is repeating. Because the modelled reactor core has a symmetry. My guess is to slice a piece with xz planes to make a cylindrical sector with reflecting boundary conditions.

Yes i know how the assemblies are repeating. I think i understood. Thank you so much.

i used two separate planes with rotating boundary condition but it shows the following error,

WARNING: Rotational periodic BC specified with a rotation angle of
300.0294017615147 degrees which does not evenly divide 360 degrees.

but i didn’t define any rotation degree.

It seems that you have specified to simulate in 300 degrees region and not in 60 degrees region. That’s why the code cannot divide 360 circle into even parts. Check your code again

I also know what you said but the problem is that i don’t know how to define that angle of rotation.

There is a special constraint for rotational periodic boundaries that must be satisfied:

1 Like

Thank you @paulromano . It worked without any warning now. But i’m still facing the same problem.

The depletion analysis still stops at openmc_simulation_n0.h5 .To get a quick result, i ran over 100 batch with only 1000 particles.can you tell me how do i solve this issue?

Another thing is that, the depletion analysis still stores the same numbers of material files as it does for the whole geometry. shouldn’t it save the history for only 1/6th portion of the geometry?

Imtiaj

Does the simulation just hang at this point or are you getting an error message? If you are getting an error message, can you paste the output so we can see it?

If you create a full core geometry but then just limit the view by restricting the universe to the 1/6th portion, it will still try to deplete the materials that are not visible. For any fuel material that is not visible, you can explicit set it to be not depletable:

material.depletable = False

Sorry for my late response @paulromano. i tried to do as you suggested & it worked well. but there are several other issues related to it.

About depletion, will it effect my overall depletion result if i put on restriction over part of the fuel rods from depletion? Also, i tried to do this ,

Fuel_cell1.depletable= False (it requires less work if i can put true/false for cells besides materials.)

But this seemed not to work although it didn’t show any error/warning when i executed it. so later on i defined burnup for materials as per your suggestion.

And what is the difference if i deplete 1/6th portion by using the whole geometry & 1/6th portion with 1/6th geometry using periodic boundary? Is there any major differences between the result?

and about depletion error, yes it used to hang on there while creating the first statepoint file & after 2-3 hours the kernel dies automatically. but after i’ve defined 28 assemblies instead of 163 to be depleted, this problem is also solved.so, it was due to my computers limitation.Thanks for your time.