Keff results significantly different from MCNP

Hi,

I’m doing criticality calculations for a model consisting of a sphere of U-7wt%Mo enriched at 20 at.% surrounded by water (I’m attaching the input file). The resultant keff is 0.52281 when running with OpenMC, and 0.43593 when running with MCNP. Both models use the same cross-section data libraries, number of particles, and number of active and inactive batches. Any suggestions why is there such big difference in the keff? I have tried running for more a critical system by increasing the enrichment, and difference is still large ( ~9%). Increasing the number of particles, and inactive and active batches by a factor of 10 does not make any difference either.

Thanks,

Andrea Saltos

U-7Mo.py (1.38 KB)

Hi Andrea,

Generally we get very good agreement between MCNP and OpenMC when using the same model / data. Would you be able to share your MCNP input file as well? I can try running both to see if I see the same behavior, and also check if there’s anything in the input files that pops out at me as being different.

Thanks,
Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your response and help. I’m attaching my MCNP input file. I’m using ENDF/B-VII.1. Please let me know if you need anything else.

Best,

Andrea Saltos

input-mcnp-U7Mo (2.09 KB)

Hi Andrea,

Your water definition in the MCNP input appears to be wrong; you have 1 atom of H and 2 atoms of O! Turning those around should give you better agreement with OpenMC.

Cheers,
Paul