How to specify the boron concentration (ppm) in calculation

Hi all,

I try to calculate the pin cell multi-group cross-section under different boron concentrations, but I don’t know how to set the boron concentration in ppm. Should it be specified in the moderator by using “material.add_nuclide” or “material.nuclide_element”? For different boron concentrations, does the density of water need to be recalculated manually using H, O and B?

Below is what I did:

boron_ppm=500

#borated water
water = openmc.Material(name=‘Borated Water’)
water.add_nuclide(‘H1’, 2)
water.add_nuclide(‘O16’, 1) #is it right? or how can I calculate the ‘atomic percentage’ from the atomic density?
water.add_element(‘B’,boron_ppm*1e6,‘wo’)
water.set_density(‘g/cm3’, 0.740582)

I found a python API " openmc.model.borated_water" that can specify the boron concentration in ppm, but no examples of using it were found.

Sincerely yours,
Yahui Wang

Using openmc.model.borated_water() is probably the way to go. Here is an example:

water = openmc.model.borated_water(boron_ppm=432.473,temperature=566,pressure=15)

Using the temperature and pressure you give, it automatically calculates the density. If you specify the density, it overrides the temperature and pressure.

Hi mkreher,

Thank you for your kind reply. I have another problem. Does ‘openmc.model.borated_water’ include S(α,β) table? Thank you again.

Sincerely yours,
Yahui Wang

Yes, it does! I see it in the source code.