Getting MT301 into the h5 file

Hi all,

Has anyone had any luck with the heatr=True argument on the from_njoy() or make_ace() functions.

I have been trying to include MT 301 (total neutron heating) into the h5 files from an endf file and I just can’t get it to work.

I attach a minimalist script to demonstrate what I have been doing

I can see that the heatr card is going into njoy and I have been look at the tape files (tape20,tape22,tape23,tape24) produced along the way.

I can see that tape24 appears to contain the MT301 number (before the /tmp folder gets deleted) but the resulting ace file does not appear to contain the MT 301 reaction

Any suggestions are most welcome

All the best

Jon

`

download endf file from website

https://www-nds.iaea.org/fendl/data/neutron/endf/n_0325_3-Li-6.txt

import openmc

endf_filename = ‘n_0325_3-Li-6.txt’
ace_filename = ‘Li006.ace’
h5_filename = ‘Li006.h5’

openmc.data.make_ace(endf_filename, ace=ace_filename, heatr=True) #heatr is True by default but just to be sure

data_from_ace = openmc.data.IncidentNeutron.from_ace(ace_filename)

data_from_ace.export_to_hdf5(h5_filename, ‘w’)

data_from_h5 = openmc.data.IncidentNeutron.from_hdf5(h5_filename)

print(data_from_ace.reactions) #there is no 301 in this list
print(data_from_h5.reactions) #there is no 301 in this list

data_from_njoy = openmc.data.IncidentNeutron.from_njoy(endf_filename, heatr=True)

print(data_from_njoy.reactions) #there is no 301 in this list

`

Hi Jon – I’ll look into getting the heating data into our HDF5 files. Right now from_ace definitely skips over heating data. Our NJOY pipeline might need some changes too. I’ll let you know when I have more to report.

Best,
Paul

Just an update for anyone interested in this – I put in a pull request to add this data back into the file.