Determining Neutron Current Through a Reflector

I have created a 1/4 core with reflective boundary conditions on the top and left, and vacuum at the O.D. of the reflector (everything else is transmissive).

I am trying to develop a tally that determines the reflector current through the reflector thickness. I am running into errors using the openmc.surfacefilter. Is there a standard method for generating this type of tally where the mesh is Cartesian but the geometry is circular?

Thanks

I have attached the notebook and I am following the methods from:

http://openmc.readthedocs.io/en/stable/examples/mdgxs-part-ii.html#Using-Tally-Arithmetic-to-Compute-the-Delayed-Neutron-Precursor-Concentrations

I am returning the dataframe below. The numbers in the dataframe do not seem to change if I modify the reflector thickness.

Project Reactor Core Geometry-Beryllium-Post Discussion.ipynb (276 KB)

Hello All,

I’d like to bump this as Jason is a student in my class and neither of us can figure it out and the documentation is not clear.

Be Well
Anthony

Hi Anthony and Jason,

The issue is that (for historical reasons) surface filters were primarily used for scoring currents on the surfaces of a regular mesh. However, at some point, we added the ability to get currents on a normally-defined (non-mesh) surface (using a SurfaceFilter). Because the surface filter was “overloaded” for two purposes, this led to strange bugs and confusion. In the develop branch, we’ve actually introduced a new filter (MeshSurfaceFilter) that specifically allows a user to get currents on a mesh surface, and SurfaceFilter is specifically for tallying surface-crossing events. Unfortunately, the best advice I can give you is to wait until the next release or live on the bleeding edge and checkout the develop branch.

Best regards,
Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for letting us know. For purposes of this class, I don’t think waiting is really an option and we’ll have to figure something else out.

Be Well

Anthony