Changing input/output names and running different input file names

Dear all,

I am a new user of OpenMC and I am working in Python. I am writing to ask the following questions, please:

1. Is it possible to run xml files with different names instead of the standard ones, i.e. geometry.xml, settings.xml, materials.xml?

2. Is it possible to change the names of the outputs, i.e. tallies.out, summary.h5, statepoints.h5,…?

Indeed, I want to run different inputs by changing some parameters of the model. In order to distinguish among the different simulations, I export the xml files with different names, respect with how I changed the parameters. For example, if I change the material composition (in particular, enrichments), I would have input names like materials_enrich3.1.xml, materials_enrich3.4.xml, materials_enrich3.6.xml,…At the same time, I would like to have the possibility to run openmc for different simulations, by reading separately these xml files with the new input names.

As I see, it seems that the standard procedure consists into create different folders (with different names) and run openmc with the xml files with the standard xml names in each folder.

Thanks for your time.
Best regards,

Christian

Hi @byba90 and welcome to the community! At the present time, it’s not possible to specify alternate names for the input/output files. You’re not the first person to ask about such a capability — perhaps that’s something for our developers to consider in the future (or if anyone here is interested in implementing such a capability, I’m happy to provide some pointers). As you’ve discovered, right now the standard procedure would be to use different folders and within each folder the standard file names are used.

2 Likes

@paulromano thank you very much for your clarification and detailed answer!

Christian