Source intensity

Hi @paulromano. My question is because I would like to understand how to use the strength attribute to convert the flux units. The documentation says:

“As described in Scores, all tally scores are normalized per source particle simulated. However, for analysis of a given system, we usually want tally scores in a more natural unit. For example, neutron flux is often reported in units of particles/cm^2-sec. For a fixed source simulation, it is usually straightforward to convert units if the source rate is known. For example, if the system being modeled includes a source that is emitting 10^4 neutrons per second, the tally results just need to be multiplied by 10^4. This can either be done manually or using the openmc.Source.strength attribute”.

I have always used the first option. I mean, I get the flux in ‘particle-cm/source particle’ (flux obtained with strength = 1 – default value), multiply this flux by the source intensity in ‘source particle/sec’ and divide by the volume (cm^3) corresponding to the tally result to obtain the flux in ‘particle/cm^2-sec’ (see post with the equation).

If I properly understood the statement in the documentation, in the case that I want to use the second approach, I have to do the following:

openmc.Source.strength = 10^4

which will give us the flux in particle-cm/sec. Then dividing the flux tally by the volume [cm^3], we obtain the units ‘particle/cm^2-sec’. In other words, the Source intensity variable in the mentioned equation is not required, is this correct?

Thanks,
Maria